Project Runway Season 15 Finale Thoughts

December 30, 2016


I'm finally back from my trip to Mexico and got to catch up on Project Runway, my favorite show right next to Project Runway Junior. Before I get started...be warned, there's spoilers below! If you don't watch the show, be sure to scroll below to see my favorite looks from the contestants runway shows, although they're not pros yet, there were some beautiful pieces.



Well picking up from the critique last week, every designer, judge and Tim are talking about "cohesion", and it's clear no one has it together. Although this season has some great ideas and creativity, I really think they're some of the most immature designers who need to work quite a bit to get up to NYFW standards.


When Tim checks in all I can think is how exciting Erin's was compared to everyone elses...especially Laurence who usually is very edgy and looks like a bunch of cheap shirts from Forever 21. By this point I was already ruling Rik (sidenote totally forgot his name he's so in the background) out due to the lack of theme (maybe disco mechanic?), and rooting for Roberi to show his usual, sexy and Southern American looks.

Then Tim cried. And obviously Rik cried. Cause he's always crying.

Onto the shows:

Erin - Her show really was a level above the rest. The quirky look was something the judges loved all season and definitely was the most in style with the pop art, funky and fresh feel. I agree with Nina that her first look didn't totally fit the rest and had a more middle eastern, Aladdin movie feeling to it. I think some of the oversized looks also could be refined more, many looked just too big for the models frames and like a giant piece of fabric was swallowing them. Here were my favorite looks from Erin's show...


Laurence - I think the judges and I agreed that Laurence was one of the biggest disappointments of the show. Her outfits didn't reflect her personality or aesthetic, and had a cheap, already done feeling. Many of them made no sense, like the many openings and cuts that showed too much skin and made outfits tacky, or her weird bodysuit/shirt with a skirt that just was difficult to get what it was. I think she did have a few nice pieces though, but would've done much better being added to another collection that was much more her...


Roberi - The judges kept saying his had the most "wows" but I'm not sure it was totally a compliment. His was the least cohesive of the show, starting with grunge, pop, street style that had bright colors and geometric shapes, and ending with swirling lines and elegant silhouettes. I think he should've stuck with his tried and true aesthetic of mixing fun textures with a sexy elegant style, which was shown in my favorite looks. I did really like the texture and shine of his skirts, and think it was done really nicely with some of the rougher textures of the army style jackets...


 Rik - Wow. Rik was totally the most improved from his showing on the previous episode of three garments. The heightened hemlines and unique use of bandana style pattern with the theme of "bandits" worked perfectly. He had great cohesion and I really enjoyed the use of denim mixed in with a retro punk feel. I'm not sure I loved the pattern in the weird black and white outfits, or his incorporation of yellow leather, but he managed to bring it back with low hemlines, boxy silhouettes and a sexy grunge vibe...


You Might Also Like

0 comments